Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Sister

My sister lives in Portland Oregon. We are pretty close and try to stay in touch as much as possible. Whenever she comes to town, which isn't very much, she will stay with us. I was the one who stuck up for her on the bus and backed her up when I could. She did the same for me. She hasn't had the easiest of lives either and I believe that's why we get along like we do. My wife and her are very close as well. So close it's scary sometimes. When they were in town last year, the scene at the airport was rather depressing between the two of them. You'd think they were saying goodbye forever. Man O Man!

Well, my sister called me a couple days ago out of the blue. I was a little nervous at first because she usually shoots me an email instead of racking up the phone bill. It was nice to hear her voice. She informed me that both her and her husband were being deployed to Iraq in April 2009. They will be deployed for approximately one year. That fact in itself makes me a tad nervous. She's a tough girl and I know she'll be OK. She told me that she was the only person she trusted to raise her kids the way she wants and would like me to take them for the year they are gone.

I was a little blown away by this. The kids real father lives not too far from where she lives but he's about as capable as pouring water in a paper bag. It'll work but only for a very very short time. She has some papers for me to fill out and such. Her kids are older so it's not too bad. They are 12, 16 and 19. The 19 year old doesn't have to come but, I'd rather keep them all together. Why separate them more than needed. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty big house and really have no problem with space. I just have to finish off part of my basement and add a stand up shower to my half bath. All this I was planning on doing anyway but now, I definitely have to get it going. Any one out there with a hammer can come help. I'll supply beverages and food.

As for the cost, well, my sister will completely cover any and all expenses for the kids. She'll be sending me their money to take care of them. They have no bills so I will be able to put away a lot of money for my sister and bro in law. My goal will be to have enough saved for them to put a rather large down payment on a home. They deserve that. My life will get pretty interesting next April. It'll be fun, that's for sure.

I'm not a very religious person but, I'll be praying for them as I do all our service men and women. Thanks for all you people do. Without you, this country is non existent.

As for my sister, Thank you for having the faith in me!

2 comments:

It's you know who! said...

Very nice! I'm sure they'll be in great hands with you and your sister and her husband can go do their deployment without worrying about their kids. That is so great what you are doing. I bet your kids will have fun with them there too. That's awesome. I hope the year passes fast for you all and they come home safe and sound very quickly. :)

Greeneyezz said...

She trusts you.

And she has faith in you.

She's made a great choice, you'll do fine, I'm sure.

:)

~ZZ